- Global Information
- Finding help
- About dementia
- Caring for a person with dementia
- I have dementia
- Clinical trials
- Patient & caregiver resources
- Global Solutions
- Global Knowledge
2nd Middle East and North Africa Conference of Alzheimer's Disease International
Alzheimer’s Disease – The Global Health Crisis of the 21st Century
Dubai was the host country for the 2nd Middle East and North Africa Regional Conference of ADI on 8-9 December 2013, with the Oberoi Hotel as the venue. ADI members shared news of their most recent work during the ADI business meeting, which highlighted the growing awareness and interest in dementia across the region. During the conference opening ceremony a representative from the Dubai health authority expressed their support and this was followed by speeches from three carers on their experiences in the first conference session.
Other conference sessions included an overview of dementia prevalence in the region as well as presentations from ADI Chairman Jacob Roy and ADI Policy Adviser Mike Splaine. Bupa’s Graham Stokes shared knowledge on non-pharmacological interventions for managing challenging behaviours and, with the support of Prof Stokes, an Arabic translation of the Bupa and ADI charter on the rights of people with dementia was launched at the conference.
ADI thanks Lilly, GE Healthcare, Bupa, TauRx Therapeutics, the Government of Dubai, Dubai Health Authority and Dubai Convention and Events Bureau for their support of the meeting.
Programme and presentations
Many of the presentations are available to download below, in PowerPoint format.
Plenary Session 1 – Societal Perspective of Dementia
- Marc Wortmann – Overcoming the Stigma of Dementia
- Diane Mansour – Psychological Effects of Alzheimer’s Disease on Families
Plenary Session 2 – Dementia – A Global Health Challenge
- Jacob Roy Kuriakose – Dementia: A Global Public Health Challenge
Plenary Session 3 – Latest Developments in Dementia Research
- Steve DeKosky & Mohammed Khezrian – Current and Future Treatments
- Claude Wischik – Novel Approaches to Diagnosis
- Raymond H. Hamden & Nicole El Marj – Assess, Diagnosis, Early Intervention: Awareness for Medical and Para-Medical Professionals
Plenary Session 4 – Dementia Care Management
- Graham Stokes – Non-pharmacological Interventions in Response to Behaviours that Challenge
- Nasser Loza & Mairose Doss - Behavioural and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia
- Michael Splaine – A Report on National Initiatives in Hospital care for People with Dementia
Session 1 - Dementia Research
- Hossein Nahvinejad – Comprehensive Prevention Scheme for Healthy Seniors
- Samia A. Abdul-Rahman –