Dra Daisy Acosta
10/66 aims to provide a detailed evidence-base to inform the development and implementation of policies for improving the health and social welfare of older people in low and middle income countries, particularly the 14 million people with dementia, their relatives and carers.
- To estimate the numbers of persons with dementia in those countries and regions where little or no research has been carried out
- To use these studies to learn more about the genetic and environmental causes of dementia
- To describe care arrangements for people with dementia
- To quantify the impact of dementia and other chronic health conditions on disability, dependency and caregiver strain
- To encourage the development of support services, and to test their effectiveness
- To collaborate with other work groups to study topics in social gerontology, nutritional health, cardiovascular and metabolic disorders
- To disseminate these research findings widely, in the communities where we carry out the research, to policymakers, opinion formers, civil society and the public at large.